Nicholas J. (Nick) Monteleone
For more than 35 years, Nick has maintained a successful practice in Allegany and Garrett Counties in Maryland, and in nearby counties in West Virginia. Nick’s practice is focused primarily on estate planning, estate and income tax planning for large and small estates; the administration of estates and trusts; asset protection, such as long-term trusts for children; individually tailored trusts including special needs trusts for disabled persons; wealth transfers and planned giving; charitable trusts and private foundations; and business succession planning. He represents individuals, beneficiaries, trustees and executors, and serves individuals with business, personal, tax and wealth preservation issues.
Nick is a frequent speaker on various aspects of estate and trust law, including the administration and taxation of estates and trusts.
- Maryland State Bar Association, Estates and Trust Section: Estate Planning in the Era of High Estate Tax Exemptions – A New Way of Thinking (2020); co-presenter;
- National Business Institute Seminar: Probate: Everything You Need To Know (2019); co-presenter;
- National Business Institute Seminar: 30 Steps to Perfect Probate: Estate Closing Strategies and Legal Ethics (2018); co-presenter;
- Maryland State Bar Association Summit and Annual Meeting: The Shifting Sands: Estate Planning Uncertainty and Fiduciary/Beneficiary Litigation (2018); co-presenter;
- National Business Institute Seminar: Estate Administration: Top Mistakes to Avoid (2017); co-presenter;
- Mount St. Mary’s College (B.A.), summa cum laude, 1978; University of Maryland (J.D.), with honor, 1981
- Maryland (1981); United States District Court for the District of Maryland (1988); West Virginia (1991)
Membership and Associations:
- American Bar Association (Probate & Property Section)
- Maryland Bar Association (Estate & Trust Section)
- Allegany County Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Maryland Society of Accounting and Tax Professionals
- Chair, Judicial Nominating Committee, Fifth Commission District (Allegany & Garrett Counties)
- Member, Board of Directors, Community Trust Foundation (Cumberland, Maryland)
- Previous Member, Board of Directors, Friends Aware, Inc.
- President of the Allegany Bar Association January 2017 – December 2018
- President of Allegany Law Foundation, Inc. January 2017 – December 2018
- Court of Appeals of Maryland Task Force on Professionalism (2002-2003)
- Maryland Judicial Commissions on Professionalism (2004-2012)
- Maryland Bar Foundation
- Outside of the office Nick enjoys hiking and backpacking, adventure travel, and fitness, as well as playing keyboard with Hot Sauce Willie, a local rock and roll band. He resides in Cumberland, Maryland with his wife, Donna.